Jan Frankel Schau, Esq. settles litigated cases arising out of employment, business and tort disputes. With over twenty years of experience as a litigator, half in Insurance Defense and half representing Plaintiff’s in employment and personal injury, Jan has an unique ability to understand and evaluate both sides of every claim. She is also a professional speaker and author of the new book, “View from the Middle of the Road: A Mediator’s Perspective on Life, Conflict and Human Interaction”.
Why hire JAN FRANKEL SCHAU as Your Mediator?
- Jan Frankel Schau has settled over 90% of the cases she’s been hired to mediate in a single day–saving you and your clients hours of time and thousands of dollars in litigation.
- Jan Frankel Schau has mediated over 1,000 cases with more than 10 years experience.
- Jan Frankel Schau was a litigator in insurance defense for 9 years handling employment and tort disputes, including professional negligence AND represented Plaintiffs in employment, business and personal injury cases for more than 8 years. SHE CAN SEE BOTH SIDES.
- Jan Frankel Schau is widely recognized as an expert by her peers and clients–she has earned the reputation and experience that you and your clients can trust.
- Board of Governors of the International Academy of Mediators, 2014
- Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators since 2009
- Appointed as Member of the ADR Committee of the California State Bar, 2008
- Elected President of the Southern California Mediation Association, 2007
- Appointed Arbitrator and Mediator for American Arbitration Association, Commercial and Employment Panel, 2005
- Appointed as Civil Service Hearing Officer: Los Angeles County, City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles Unified School District, 2004
- Appointed Arbitrator and Mediator for Kaiser Permanente, 2004
- Appointed Arbitrator and Mediator for FINRA, 2006
Formal Education and ADR Training
- Pomona College, B.A., International Relations and Diplomacy, Claremont, Ca. 1978
- Loyola Law School, J.D., Los Angeles, Ca. 1981
- L.A. County Bar, Dispute Resolution Services, Mediation Training Certificate, 2000
- Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution, Advanced Mediation Skills, Malibu, Ca, 2003, 2005 and Professional Skills Intensive Workshop, 2015
- American Arbitration Association, Advanced Training in Arbitration, 2005, 2007
- FINRA, Advanced Training in Securities Arbitration, 2005
- Western Center for Disability, Advanced Training in Disability Mediation, 2001
- Extensive conferences including: Southern California Mediation Association’s Annual Conference (Past Chair) and Employment Mediation Conference (Past Chair), ABA Dispute Resolution Section Annual Conference (Presenter, 2005 and 2009)
- Los Angeles Superior Court (Participant in Training and Trainer, 2008)
Jan Frankel Schau offers a unique and rare combination of talents and experience:
- Over an 80% settlement rate in a single day.
- Mediates over 100 cases every year.
- Litigated Insurance Defense cases for 8 years.
- Represented employees and personal injury plaintiffs for 9 years.
- Jan’s experience allows her to be fair, objective and neutral, yet as evaluative as you require to get your case settled effectively.
- Jan has the experience to set your clients at ease with the process of mediation and get down to the negotiation efficiently.
- Jan quickly gains credibility with both sides as an approachable, friendly, low-key, but realistic professional: She leaves you and your client more than satisfied with both the process and the outcome you achieve.